Saturday, April 21, 2012

Which class? Opinions please...

I am about to start my first character. I had a few questions about the classes.

What is a good starter class?

What is a good solo class that is also wanted in groups?

And what class is the most fun to play?



Any answers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy|||By solo play, I assume you mean with heroes & henchmen?

Honestly, the classes are pretty well balanced, and if you want group play I'd advise you join a good guild that is ok with new players. That's the best way. And if you do, then any class should be good.

I would advise against mesmer or sin because they are harder to play. They are good classes, just harder to get the hang of them.

Ritualist, necro, monk, ranger, elementalist are all good choices because they are flexible in what they do. Ranger may be slightly less needed in groups, and monks & rits are usually more needed for healing spots.

Warrior, dervish, paragon are also good choices, although they are imo more single-purpose. Warrior & derv are melee'rs, whether more tank-ish or dps-ish... paragons are more support via shouts. If you don't mind the lack of variety in playstyle, they are good choices.|||Quote:






View Post

I am about to start my first character. I had a few questions about the classes.

What is a good starter class?




Depends on your gaming background. I'd say mesmers and monks are typically harder to play as a beginner but, that's me.


Quote:






View Post

What is a good solo class that is also wanted in groups?




Monks and permasins :o


Quote:






View Post

And what class is the most fun to play?




depends on what you like. try them out and see what floats your boat.




Quote:






View Post

Any answers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy|||First of all, welcome to the game.


Quote:




What is a good starter class?




I usually recommend elementalist and warrior as good starter classes because their primary role is straight forward raw damage dealing. You should be fine starting with any class aside from mesmers and assassins, though some will be easier to learn than others. Mesmers especially are discouraged for new players because they require knowledge about other classes.


Quote:




What is a good solo class that is also wanted in groups?




When someone say "solo" in guild wars, it can mean two things: playing alone with henchmen filling rest of your party slots, or having only your character in the party. The former will work with all professions, and plenty of builds. The latter will depend on what class you like to play, but perma sins (short for assassins) and monks are popular among the general public.


Quote:




And what class is the most fun to play?




We won't be able to determine that for you; you'll have to try them all out yourself. We can give you pointers if you can tell us what kind of play style you prefer.|||Quote:






View Post

When someone say "solo" in guild wars, it can mean (...) having only your character in the party.




I wish to emphasize that this is not a standard way to play the game, rather it's something that *some* professions can only do in *some rare* areas using *specific builds*, the intent of which is usually for generating income.

I would strongly advise against this, until you finish a campaign or two. It's generally boring, and it's not how the game was meant to be enjoyed...|||Quote:






View Post

I usually recommend elementalist and warrior as good starter classes because their primary role is straight forward raw damage dealing.




I classify elementalists as almost purely party support. GW mages are no where near the flesh-mangling powerhouses they are in other fantasy games. Just a * note so the OP isn't ultimately disappointed in the class, when/if they decide to play one.|||Quote:






View Post

I wish to emphasize that this is not a standard way to play the game, rather it's something that *some* professions can only do in *some rare* areas using *specific builds*, the intent of which is usually for generating income.

I would strongly advise against this, until you finish a campaign or two. It's generally boring, and it's not how the game was meant to be enjoyed...




That, yes. I should have put that in. Thanks for pointing out.


Quote:






View Post

I classify elementalists as almost purely party support. GW mages are no where near the flesh-mangling powerhouses they are in other fantasy games. Just a * note so the OP isn't ultimately disappointed in the class, when/if they decide to play one.




I have to agree that mage classes mow down stuffs in other games and eles don't in GW. My point was that the basic way to play an elementalist as a new player in starter areas would be to use straight forward damage spells, but I guess it wasn't as clear as I intended it to be.|||I knew what you meant, but magic is whacky overpowered in most games so I felt my note would be helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment