Saturday, April 21, 2012

The Noob in the room

Hey all.

I've never played this game before. Heard about it from a friend of mine and thought that it would be really interesting to check out. So, I asked my wife for it for Christmas. More than likely I'll be getting it. But I have a few questions and was hoping that with the vast knowledge amungst those who are already immersed deep with in the storyline and game play, you would be nice enough to help me out.

I was told that GW is not an MMO like WoW. Is that true? As a starter which char is the easiest to build, run with, to help me get to know the game so I can work on expanding my knowledge of other characters?

I thank you in advance for your answers. Hopefully I'll get as interested in this game as I hope I will.|||A few links that might help.

First a wiki. Be careful where you go if you don't want spoilers.

http://guildwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Getting started Guides:

If you get prophecies only.

http://guildwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gett...d_(Prophecies)

If you get factions only.

http://guildwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gett...ted_(Factions)

If you get Nightfall only or the three pack.



http://guildwars.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_started_(Nightfall)

In general I recommend starting out with nightfall first, as you get access to heroes immediately, and the learning curve and leveling (level 20 is max for the game) is not too slow or two fast.

Warriors, Elementalists, and Rangers are probably the easiest to get the basics on for new players in my opinion, and are available to start with on any of the campaigns.|||Necromancers are pretty easy as well and good for starters.

I'd only stay away from mesmers, monks, assassins as a complete newbie.|||Start with Prophecies! That;s where a lot of us started from. And you will get a great understanding of the history and storyline.|||Oh yes, and instruct your wife to get an "all 3 campaigns in 1 box" release. A box like that shouldn't be more expensive these days than a single campaign release.



Looking at my own experience with the game and looking at the gender ratio at this forum here, your wife might actually enjoy the game as well, by the way. If you've got 2 computers in your household then maybe you'd like 2 accounts so that you can play together.

But of course, feel free to test it before you try to get your wife addicted. ;)|||Thanks for the advice everyone. I know that she was probably going to get Nightfall and one other one. Wish I could remember what it was.

Unfortunately, we only have the one comp. I tried to get her into D2, but it didn't take. She only gamed for maybe a month. I actually had more luck getting her into Mafia Wars on Facebook. Pretty sad actually.|||If you get only NF and one other (probably EotN, because it might be bundled with NF - but could be Factions of Prophecies), start creating a character in this order:

Prophecies - Nightfall - Factions - (EotN)

Prophecies has a starting area we call "Pre-Searing": Stay there until you have done all the quests (& try all "secondary professions" before you chose) I think it is fine if you leave in Lvl 7.

In Nightfall all initial adventure happens on the island of Istan. There is a lot to do there, so you probably won't have to leave until you are Lvl 15 if you do available quests.|||Sad to hear that you missed the $15 sale of Trilogy (unless you're wife is going to surprise you) that Best Buy had a while back. Something to know though is that Eye of the North is selling for $8 now on amazon.com (finally going to be able to complete my 2nd account now).|||Quote:






View Post

I was told that GW is not an MMO like WoW. Is that true?




As much as any two games are not the same.

There are important differences, for example, GW has a lot of instancing, and does not rely on levelling or gear grind to determine character strength. As most WoW players I talked to say the best parts of WoW are instanced areas that you get into after you levelled to max level and have good gear... I think the point is moot. In fact, I'd argue that GW removed the boring parts of WoW. But different people are of different opinions.

Another difference is the lack of subscription fees, which means that GW has few in-game moderators (you rarely or never see them), and fewer updates. Instead, you get additional content by buying the other expansions / chapters. The nice thing is that if you're happy playing what you have, it's free to continue playing.


Quote:






View Post

As a starter which char is the easiest to build, run with, to help me get to know the game so I can work on expanding my knowledge of other characters?




Mesmers and assassins are to be avoided in my opinion. Mesmers require a good knowledge of the game to play well, so they are great for those who want to learn. However, the learning curve is steep. Assassins are difficult to use well because of their hit & run gameplay. They can be frustrating to get into because they are at high risk of getting killed.

All other professions are good and relatively easy to get into. I would seriously advise to go with whatever sounds good, whatever fits your personality. And if you end up not liking it, it's easy enough to start a new character.|||Oh I forot to mention, you are by no means a noob. I prefer the term newbie if you haven't played here before. Hope you enjoy our game. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment