Thursday, April 19, 2012

Questions!

Hello everyone! I've played Guild Wars a year ago, and thrown it away (no particular reason), and now I regret it. I only got to lvl 13 or so.

I'm buying it again, I'll buy the EU complete set. And I have a few questions.

When I buy the complete set, do I get like 4 DVDs, which I have to install in a particular order?

I'll probably pick a warrior, as I like the class in general. Any suggestions on a secondary class? Should I use a sword, axe, or a hammer? I'm thinking of doing both PvE and PvP (I love PvP more).

With the complete set, I heard I have a choice of bonus weapons (in this case, either an axe (or was it a hammer) or a shield). What should I pick?

And lastly, is there a nice guild that would take me in? For fun, PvP and lvling.

Oh, forgot something!

Since I'll have all campaigns, is it same if I do Prophecies to 20, then eg. Nightfall and then Factions, or if I do Nightfall to 20 (which seems faster, or Factions for fastest?), then the other 2?

Thanks for all the replies!|||You don't need buy anything just download the client for guildwars.com and let it install all of the files since you already have an account however if you want all other chapters then go ahead.you don't need to install and of the dvd just use cd keys but do download the client.

I hope you still remember your account name and pw.

I would read the Warrior forum for what you are seeking advice on there and got guilds look in the guild listing at bottom.|||Prophecies - slowest to level in/longest campaign

Pros: tons of "free" skills, you just have to find/do skill quests

Cons: it does seem like it takes a while to get to level 20, but once you've made it to Lion's Arch, you can take the quests to the other campaigns and get quests from there that'll help you lvl faster. Also, you don't get much coinage from quests and such.

Factions - fastest to level in/shortest campaign

Pros: level quite fast, tons of coin to be made from doing quests. Since you are in to PvP, this is the campaign where you can fight your opposing faction (Kurzick vs Luxon).

Cons: some people think the lvling too quickly is bad on learning how to play the game, because 1-20 is learning how to play. Also, very short gameplay for PvE.

Nightfall - middle ground on both counts.

As Age said, if you can remember your acct name/password, then by all means, use it and purchase what you are missing (unless its just cheaper to go with a 1 for all deal).

The bonus weapons...I believe that there's only a sword, and you can only get that if you have the pre-order key for Eye of the North. (If someone else wants to confirm/deny...I don't have time to look up because kids are wanting to go play outside.) You can obtain cheap weapons, if you know where to look

As for guild, again, what Age said. There is a guild recruitment board waaaaaaaaaaay at the bottom of the main forums. Many wonderful guilds have their recruitments posted already. Just you'll need to decide which one is best for you.|||Account:

Like Age said, your account information is saved by GW servers, so you should be able to play given that you remember your account name, password, and character name. If you threw the game key away and can't remember your account information, it will be difficult to retrieve those information and you may have to buy another copy. If you already bought the complete set or just going to start different account from scratch, that's completely fine; you will however need to use different email from the one used for previous account.



Installation:

Each of the campaigns and expansion are linked so there is only one game to install. You can either wait for the CD's to come in if you ordered boxes, or you can download the client through official website.

I will recommend what's usually known as "-image" around here; it will download every possible update for you (it is highly recommended that you have it run during the night while you sleep since it takes a long time to complete).

The following is what you need to do:
  • After installing the client, right click the shortcut and go to "properties"

  • Find the part where it says "Target:" and wherever you installed your client to (let's just say it was c:\program files\Guild Wars\GW.exe)

  • Right after "C:\Program Files\Guild Wars\GW.exe" type in "-image" without the quotation marks.

  • It now should read Target: "C\Program Files\Guild Wars\GW.exe" -image

  • Hit OK and execute through that shortcut.

  • Let it run while you go do something else.

  • After it's finished, go back in and get rid of the "-image" bit.

  • Enjoy the game.



Weapons:

I'm not sure what bonus weapons are going to be available to you, but if they are, here's the list. It looks like one you are likely to get will be Game of the Year/1 Million Edition; in this case the warrior weapon you'll get is hammer and shield. Hammer looks like a nice one, and you should be able to use it through endgame with proper hammer grip modification added. The shield looks ok, and will go well with both axe and sword. Sword doesn't have as high dps as the other two on average but can inflict more kinds of conditions than the other two. Axe has nice damage for having a shield around, and can inflict useful conditions like deep wound that cuts enemy's health by 20% and makes the target gain less benefit from healing. Hammer also have good damage (especially after the buff we just had for hammer skills) and can knock the targets down. Trying other professions is also good since you'll know what kind of things other professions can do and whether you like that kind of gameplay or not.



Secondary:

An effective warrior build can be built solely by warrior skills, so don't worry too much about picking out the secondary. Pick secondary in terms of what skills you want to supplement your gameplay as a warrior. This includes, but are not limited to, reusable resurrection skills (monk, ritualist, and paragon) and damage enhancement (e.g. conjure element skills of elementalist when wielding sword/axe/hammer that deals elemental damage).



Campaigns:

A character you make will eventually have access to all the campaigns and expansion you acquire on your account, so you will be able to play through every single campaign and expansion with one character. The difference between different starting campaign will be the tutorial area and your experience through the earlier part of the campaigns, certain professions tied to the campaigns (assassin and ritualist must start with Factions, paragons and dervishes with Nightfall), and the physical appearance for each campaign being different (unless you're willing to pay extra for appearance change). The most recommended starting areas are Prophecies, for content spoilers, and Nightfall, for well built tutorials.|||Thanks for the replies, they helped a lot. Unfortunately I don't remember my past account information, but that doesn't bother me that much as this way I'll get all 3 campaigns and the expansion for a lower price.|||If you're a big lore buff, do Prophecies, Factions, then Nightfall.

If you like speed, Prophecies is slowest (and will be too easy if you level up elsewhere), Factions is fastest.

Frankly, I love Factions, but I am a dying breed. Generally I recommend people start in Nightfall and go from there. It's a good pace, well-balanced, more polishes, and it has heroes.|||In general, I'll still end up with all the skills I would get with quests no matter in which order I complete campaigns? And do a lot of people still play the game?|||Order of play is entirely a question of preference, aside from tutorial areas. You can get all skills regardless of order of play.

http://www.xfire.com/genre/mmo/massi...player_online/

Guild Wars is ranked pretty high in the MMO list... especially considering it's not 100% free (you need to buy the games) and it's not exactly recent.|||Thanks for the answers. And am I wrong if I say I got in too late? Like, did I miss anything special, was there a golden era of GW (like eg. WoW classic)?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm interested. :P|||You're not too late, not in the sense of catching up. It's real fast to catch up to the player population (titles may take longer, but that's not an issue).

Some say GW Prophecies was the best time, I don't believe it. I think it's nostalgic myopia. But to each their own views... I wasn't there at the beginning either!

The only thing you missed are the festival hats, really. Other than that, you'll be playing amongst the veterans in no time, provided you can catch up to their knowledge level and ability... but you don't have to catch up in their time played or achievements to fit in... except for the rare PvP elitist style which if you're good enough there are ways to pierce through too.

No comments:

Post a Comment