Thursday, April 19, 2012

Dervivor Project

Trying to make a Dervish Survivor.

Now, I'm not new to making survivors, in fact, I have one LS of Ranger, Paragon, and Ritualist. I've help write the survivor page on wiki.

But dervishes are different in several ways... (1) they rely on enchants for protection, which means that enchant removal can be deadly, (2) they rely on AoE damage which means that spells that punish attacks can be deadly, and (3) they are melee-range.

Of my survivors to date, this is probably the riskiest.

My personal rules for this (these) attempts:

(1) No farming. I never farmed my LS's and I won't start now.

(2) No ranged attacks. Dervish is melee-range, and I would be useless if I stayed behind my team. I could stay far and be useful with my other characters, but not this one.

(3) Tanking builds are fine. Yes, it's not the best use of a dervish, especially with normal mode, but until I get LS, I'm fine with it.

Any advice would be lovely... especially with:

(1) what areas or foes tend to get you killed?

(2) what enchants work, and what enchants don't?

(3) what are some good general-use builds, both tanking and damage?

I'll be sure to write up a few new advices in the wiki survivor page...

Thanks!|||from my nightfall experience, the biggest killers were frigid skales (ice spear spike) and mandragors in kourna (lifesteal).

you forgot to include, are you taking a docks runner for max armor or not? :>|||Already used a docks run for Olias... but not sure if I'll buy the armor right away. I spent all my gold on unids this weekend!

But yes, max armor is on my priority list.

I'll spend most of my time in Nightfall and Factions. I consider Prophecies XP to be too low to be worth the risk, and EotN to be too risky to be worth the XP.

Lifesteal... is there a good way to counter that as a dervish? Is self-heal sufficient?|||The Earth Prayers line has plenty of defensive enchantments, with some of the best being Conviction (which is a stance, but works better when enchanted), Mystic Regeneration and Armor of Sanctity. Again, Faithful Intervention is really nice.

Get the avatars, but be careful when doing so, given how those enemies do a lot of damage to a group of bunched heroes and henchmen. In Factions you have to be careful in areas filled with Afflicted, of course, but I don't remember anywhere in Nightfall that was too deadly for a dervish. Watch out for Kournan Seers, as they are extremely annoying for dervishes.

Erasculio|||I can borrow you the money for armor if that helps.|||No tips, just GL from me. I tried to "survivor" my Para when I made her when NF came out and was killed by some Skales. My second attempt (Sin) was lost due to a lag spike on Canthan new Year and now I'm just boxing my way to the top.

Perhaps chose a Bonder Monk to layer one or two enchants on you?|||Thanks Erasculio, sound advice...

I keep hearing about the afflicted, and I have to ask... is it just the sheer amount of damage when many of them die at the same time, or does that damage also bypass protections?

@Wethospu: nty. Money is not hard to come by, if you don't spend it recklessly.

@Gorani: thanks for encouragement. I was thinking about bonder monk, and I might do that...

I think a defensive Dervish build should do just fine, but what I worry most about is the derv's weaknesses... especially as I don't know them. I just don't have much melee experience or self-protection experience, so this promises to be a learning experience.|||afflicted soul explosion can be devastating to melee characters on HM, also afflicted have annoying skills - ritualists take forever to kill and monks have RoJ which can be deadly too|||I'll mostly stay away from HM with this one... like I did with all previous LS's.

The only time I almost lost my ritualist survivor was in HM, in a zbounty. My team wiped and I managed to map travel in time before dying too. We did get the bounty before wiping though

NM is risky enough.|||I personally found most of greater Kaineng City area to be annoying on my melee characters. Some pointers:

Afflicted: Afflicted Explosion, generally high dps including RoJ, rits' FoMF, has Drain Ench and Order of Apostasy. Aside from those, generally unpleasant.

Am Fah: Flashing Blades is annoying as heck (you may want to go /W and have Wild Blow as one of your attack skills), trap spiking can be lethal, ambush

Jade: main concern is patrol pattern and their elementalists (mainly Dragon's Stomp disabling your backliners). Warriors can be dangerous in numbers for your backliners as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment