Saturday, April 21, 2012

Hey, new here

Hey folks,

Long story short, this is my first real foray into online gaming, so I'm more than a touch out of my depth. Basically, I'm just wondering what the best way to find folk to run around with is. Henchmen seem to defeat the purpose of the whole online thing, and I haven't had any luck shouting in the spam-filled chat channels. The two guilds that I've had folks of run around with me haven't exactly sold me on the idea. One just ran off and killed everything, leaving me to tag along and make their guild look bigger, while the other spent most of the time trying to tell me that I had to build my character this exact way otherwise I'm doing it wrong.

I'd rather not play the game like that, thanks.

What should I be doing and where should I be going for a bit of a better experience? Is it as simple as just having a bit more luck with guild choice?

Thanks.|||Finding a good guild that's willing to help you out would definitely be a great thing. Although those types of guilds can be sometimes harder to find as most are trying to work on end game content.

GWO is the home of a few great guilds if you're interested

Whenever you are looking for a guild, tell them exactly what you are looking, and hopefully you'll find a great one in no time

Don't be afraid to ask questions, there's a lot of knowledgeable people out there, although you may have to ignore a few idiots on the way|||First of all, Welcome!

Second, try to checkout these great resources

For general knowledge:

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

For builds:

http://pvx.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Finding a good guild is pretty much a matter of luck. Just ask the guild about their usual activities before joining them.

As for builds, its already been a common established fact that certain builds are superior to others since they have been both tested and proven to be so. Try to check the link I provided. Despite that, don't be afraid to modify those builds or even create your own, but it will be useful if you have a good understanding of why (or why not) a build works first. You can do that by trying out the builds there and modifying them to suit your style. Once you get the hang of that, then you can try out your own builds and see if you can make a better one than those listed there.

Dont be discouraged by the fact that people you are partied with are pushing builds on you. Most of them are just afraid of failing a mission/quest because you may not be using an optimal build, which will make you deadweight (warrior with lots of self heal and protection but no damage) in some situations and may even lead you to be harmful for the party in worst case scenarios (Low level ritualist casting same spirits as high level ritualist).

It will be also useful to avoid common newbie pitfalls in building a character. Use the wiki to see common stereotypes of newbie builds such as the mending warrior. Here's another hint, the warrior build on the box of Prophecies that uses Firestorm is not a good build.|||Quote:






View Post

Hey folks,

Long story short, this is my first real foray into online gaming, so I'm more than a touch out of my depth. Basically, I'm just wondering what the best way to find folk to run around with is. Henchmen seem to defeat the purpose of the whole online thing, and I haven't had any luck shouting in the spam-filled chat channels. The two guilds that I've had folks of run around with me haven't exactly sold me on the idea. One just ran off and killed everything, leaving me to tag along and make their guild look bigger, while the other spent most of the time trying to tell me that I had to build my character this exact way otherwise I'm doing it wrong.

I'd rather not play the game like that, thanks.

What should I be doing and where should I be going for a bit of a better experience? Is it as simple as just having a bit more luck with guild choice?

Thanks.






It's going to be hard finding a full party of human players for most missions now, unless it happens to be the daily reward. I don't do a lot in game anymore, but don't mind tagging along for the odd mission here and there, time zones may be a conflict, but you can PM me and we might be able to work something out.

Good luck finding something (guild wise) that suits you.|||Welcome to GW. It can be tough to find right people to play with. You just need to spend time interacting with other players, whether it's teaming, trading, or even meeting them in the forums. Just have patience and you'll have some luck.|||Thanks for the advice. Sounds like I just need to find a new-player friendly guild that isn't trying to rush me through to the endgame. I'll have a look at the ones in the forum here, I think.

About the builds, I'm a Elementalist Ranger, which I went with based on nothing more than aesthetics. I don't mind people giving me advice. Heck, I welcome it - I'm well aware I haven't a clue. I'd just rather it was done in a tad more friendlier manner, with less ranting and screaming.|||First of all, welcome.

I agree that the best suited guilds right now would be one of the forum guilds here. They're really nice mature people.

If you have any question or need a feedback on how to improve your skillbar, just come back here on question forums and you will get answers.

The basics of building a skillbar would be to choose about 3 attributes: 1 main usually from your primary profession and 2 supplementary. In case of an elementalist, you first want to pick one main elemental attribute (air, earth, fire, water) with energy storage to help you keep up damage output. Then pick the second attribute depending on what else you want to do.

For example, if you are going up against plant-like foes that deals physical damage, you may want to put your main attribute to fire damage to deal extra damage and bring something like blinding flash under air magic or blurry vision under water magic so they miss more with their attacks. Alternatively, you may want to pick up a blocking skill from warrior tactics attribute.

The main perk of having ranger secondary would be to have a pet. However, I personally don't recommend having a pet because it takes 2 slots and one full attribute line to be able to utilize pets well and when your pet dies your skills are disabled for a few seconds. Don't be discouraged by this, because your secondary profession isn't permanent and it's more than possible to have good builds based off of one profession.

The requirement for characters created in any campaign is to be "ascended." In Prophecies this will take place in Crystal Desert area, by beating your Doppenganger in Augury Rock mission (unlocked only after beating the three other missions in the desert area). Once ascended, you will be able to take up quests that enables you to change your secondary scattered around in different Crystal Desert outposts. In other campaings, you will need to beat Nahpui Quarter mission (Factions) or complete the quest Hunted! (Nightfall), and Profession Changers in Senji's Corner (Factions) and Command Post (Nightfall) will change your secondary for 500g one-time fee. Alternatively, you can travel to Battle Islands and talk to Profession Changer in Great Temple of Balthasar and pay him 500g to change your secondary, though I suggest doing the quests if you are Prophecies character because they're free of charge. Keep in mind that once you "unlock" the secondary profession (by completing the quests or paying 500g fee) you can switch to the profession at any outpost, anytime, free of charge.

For more about secondary (wiki links):

Profession Changer

Secondary Profession|||Actually, pets only take up 1 slot now. You need only Comfort Animal on your bar to have your pet with you.|||Serpent's Quickness might be a perk of the /R secondary, too... wouldn't it?|||For the record, I'm playing the first campaign, the one where you start in the beautiful green countryside and then end up in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. It's fun so far.

And, really, I'm not that fussed about creating an optimal character at this point... Though, a minor readjustment might not go amiss. At the moment I have some godawful, horrible mishmash of fire magic (because I don't seem to have enough skills of any other element), marksmanship and a pet. At least dying seems no more than a minor inconvenience in any case, though I could be missing something. Stupid Healer henchwoman running into a group of Charr...

On the plus side, I am enjoying myself. I've been playing around with the snowball fights and some other fun stuff (Wow! Selling Candy Cane Shards is profitable!), and the game as a whole is definitely a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment