Thursday, April 19, 2012

aquiring skills

I think this is worthy of another thread instead of adding to my previous one. If not sorry for the spam. I have been playing for awhile and it is taking me along time to get new skills.

I ended up using about 15 of my skill points to buy some. I'm just wondering if this is right? It seems to be at this rate it is going to take me along time and a decent amont of money to get all the skills from all the expansions.

I'm also kind of bummed because I thought unlocking a skill would allow me to access it to any other characters I make on the account. Unless I am mistaken you can only get a few dozen skills from quests, the rest have to be bought.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a better way to get skills than burning cash and skill points?|||In Nightfall and Eye of the North, as you progress in reputation ranks, you get what are called Hero Skill Points. You take these to a Hero Skill Trainer, and you get skills for free! This is an excellent way of getting many skills.

Also, if you create a PvP char, all the skills that are unlocked are available to that PvP toon. They are also available to any/all heroes you acquire. You can also get skill tomes and learn the skills on your other characters (just the unlocked skills).

I personally like to go through all my chars and purchase skills that are locked up until the skills cost 1k each (those skills I cannot obtain through quests/hero skill trainers).|||You really, REALLY, don't need all skills. Even if you use heroes and you PvP, many skills will likely never get used. I highly recommend only getting that which you plan on using soon, and skip anything else.

That being said, unlocking a skill makes it available to your heroes on all characters, on all PvP characters, and on some trainers so other characters can buy them. However, it does not allow other PvE characters to use them, they have to buy the skills themselves if they also want it.

What I did is to make a few different characters, and each would collect a subset of skills that kinda makes sense to them. Like a caster would collect caster skills, and a melee would collect melee skills. But still, I am far from having all skills unlocked, because I never needed it so I spent my money elsewhere.

Good luck!|||Skill points are infinite, you will keep acquiring them as you play and eventually you'll have more skill points that skills available anyway, so don't worry about wasting those.

Cash becomes easier as you play some more, so even once you reach the 1k cap on skill price, it's worth investing in any skills you like the sound of as soon as you can.

There's always the option of tomes to consider. Normal tomes can be cheaper than the full 1k for a skill, and are a quick way of getting an unlocked skill onto a pve character. It may seem like a daunting task, but stuff will gradually get unlocked. Ask people to recommend you skills to buy for your profession, so you can maybe avoid anything that is currently of no use to you.|||After nearly two years, I'm still working on acquiring skills. I would like to eventually have all of them unlocked on the account, not because they're useful, but because they may *become* useful after some future skill update. Any that are useful now I already have. But, I haven't been obsessed about it. I just pick up a couple every now and then when I have some spare cash or hero skill points available.|||You can get 2000 Balthy points every 24 hours in the Training Arena on the Isle of the Nameless. That's about 10-12 minutes invested each day for 2 "free" skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment