Saturday, April 14, 2012

Help me enjoy Guild Wars

[:1]I played Guild Wars when it was first released and really enjoyed the PVP but as it wasn't my copy I stopped playing it soon after.

A year and a half ago I purchased the game again and played for a bit but I was really confused on what I was supposed to be doing and PVE was quite boring and I wasn't getting new skills.

I'm going to try it again but can I get some advice as to what I should do? What is the main attraction of Guild Wars?|||In order for us to address the specific question of what to do, we need to know a couple things. What version of the game did you buy? What continent did you start your character on?

In general the game is very linear if you own one chapter. If you own several, it can get a bit confusing part-way through. The mechanisms for "missions" -i.e. the main story line- is different for many of the chapters.



As for the main attraction of Guild Wars for me personally... it was the spiritual successor to Diablo 2 at the time. No monthly fee, online game, fully instanced, cooperative and competitive aspects. Bonus: the concept of "building a deck" like in Magic: The Gathering collectible card game. Also, the no-grind philosophy (low level cap, easy leveling through story advancement, easy access to max-stat gear)|||I'd say for PvE, the main attraction is initially the campaigns. You have 4 of them (1 per game), each filled with a lot of good interesting missions. When you complete that, EotN has nice dungeons too. The missions and dungeons make for some good varied gameplay content, which I find is lacking in other MMOs I tried.

I really enjoy GW also for it's replay, namely getting titles like Protector, Guardian, and MotN.

GW is very much a team game. It's up to you how you prefer to make your team. It's easier to play it with heroes and henchmen (and by easier, I mean easier on your schedule), but if you want to play with people then I suggest you find a good alliance. Most players nowadays have maxed characters so it's hard to find people to play early-game content with... but fortunately the early-game is short and past that everyone is at the same level...

Good luck!|||It depends on what you are looking for in the game.

For me at least GW is all about the PvP. However some players play the game without touching PvP and still love it.

If you hated the PvE content there is new content called 'War in Kryta' which was released over the last few months. The mobs in this content had better ai and better builds as well as a greater mixture of builds. I found this to be more interesting than most of the other general stuff pve has to offer.

My advice for starters is to get stuck into some pve until you feel you are getting to grips with the skills and mechanics in the game. Then try out PvP if that is your primary interest. Random Arenas and Alliance Battles make decent starting points for low end PvP stuff and are also more forgiving when compared to the more hardcore formats of Heroes Ascent and Guild vs Guild.

Some resources to help you on your way:

GW Wiki: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

PvX Wiki: http://pvx.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page|||I'm currently downloading the game now and I can't remember which game I bought. I'll get back to you guys in a bit.|||What are the usual speeds you get when downloading new areas?|||I can't exactly answer your question, but you should do an -image command, which downloads all the missing files at once.

Better do it over night, or during work etc. since it might take quite a while depending on your connection, but that'll keep you from lagging due to background downloads and so on.

If you don't know how to, make a shortcut of the gw.exe, open properties for the shortcut, and then add " -image" (without the tags) to the end of the target line.

Remember the space needs to be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment