Monday, April 16, 2012

GW Wiki: Official vs Non-Official

I know this can be subjective, but which one is better? Which has more content than the other?

I find both to be very good, but would like to know which one to choose for first search.|||The content is pretty much the same, but I find the official one to be nicer, with less ads and a generally clearer look.|||And what I find in one is found in the other, with the same complexion etc?|||In my experience, the unofficial wiki is somewhat more detailed.

However, I'm never in need of more detailed info than what exists on the official one, so I always use that. No ads, less clutter, better layout and better navigation beats the unofficial one any day.|||I prefer the official wiki.

Before the official one was born, the unofficial was the ONLY wiki there was. But since the official one was made, I've not used anything else. I personally think the official one is a bit cleaner. Now, there are some things that are more detailed in the unofficial one than the official one, but to me, that's not a big deal.|||The unofficial was the only real one before the official became live. There was talk of making the unofficial official, but legalities prevented that. Soooo, they had to start the official from scratch, they couldn't copy-paste even.

The official has since caught up and imo surpassed, but for old stuff the unofficial might still be better.|||The community is well-behaved (very little page trolling), has fast cleanup after vandalism, posts fewer cheats and the lore content is much much better if you care about that sort of thing. I find that new content gets updated to the official pretty quickly and the discussions on the new content pages is lively. The official also gives you the opportunity to directly discuss bugs, community policies and read Anet rep's blogs - though the latter has been pretty thin on the ground lately.|||I still go to the unofficial first but it seems to not be updated as much as the official nowadays. The official actually borrows a lot from the unofficial so I tended to view it as the copy. One thing that I did was add a tab at the top that takes me to the equivalent page from one to the other.

Also, about the ads on the unofficial, they don't really bother me as long as I'm logged in since I don't use the default style.|||I prefer the unofficial over the official but only for the sake of its being first.

The official is generally cleaner and more concise with what it says.

But the original was first.

-Art|||I use the official more because it's what people will get if they use the in game help, so I don't have to explain about what came first and if I'm cutting/pasting valid links into the chat screens.

I switched over when I felt that the only difference between the two was the depth of the talk pages. I'll still go to the old one if I don't find what I'm looking for in the official.

Anyone know if the old one support guild pages like the new one does?

No comments:

Post a Comment