Monday, April 16, 2012

Can I ascend with only henchmen?

I'm level 20 and made it so far with only henchmen. But I'm having a hard time with the ascension missions. Is this game engineered so that you must team up to do these missions? I only have Prophecies so I have no heroes. I'm sort of losing interest as it is. I do not want to buy anything else. I want to play it by myself and not have to depend on others. Can it be done or am I in the wrong game?|||Teaming up is a lot easier, particularly if you team up with someone that's done the missions before.

However it's very possible to do all 3 ascension missions with just henchmen. I should know. I did it on 6 or 7 characters before we got heroes...

However, if you don't know the strategy for each mission, try teaming up with a friend first.

[edit]

Oh, I forgot. You can flag your henchmen even if you don't have heroes. That makes it a bit easier - but I suggest that you try teaming up with someone that's done the missions a few times before anyway. Because those missions can be really amazingly frustrating to do on your own until you learn how to do them.|||OK thanks. I don't know anyone else who plays the game. I guess I just wander around asking someone to help me in the towns? I don't play enough to join a guild. Maybe once a week or so. Just hoping to continue on in the story without having to team up with anyone. I wonder how the first players managed on their own.|||you can always try posting an ad in this forum:

http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forum...play.php?f=141

Or, try the guild and alliance recruitment forum - there should be a couple of good pve guilds there looking for new members - see if any of them fit your play style and apply there.

It beats standing around in the outposts and shouting LFG...

And it's a great way to meet like minded people...

[edit]

I'd offer to help out, but unfortunately my gaming pc is currently broken beyond repair, and this pc can barely run firefox so, sadly I can't help you. Normally I would gladly guide you through those missions however.|||Quote:






View Post

I wonder how the first players managed on their own.




To be honest, mostly by getting advice from people that had done it before, or by teaming up with others... It's possible to do it alone, but it IS a multiplayer game, and the game has been intended to be played with other people.|||With heroes you can breeze through the 3 missions, but with henches I would say it all depends on your competency ( more like your experience with using your henches correctly ). I used to dread those 3 missions ( I once teamed with a guy who failed the Thirsty River mission 21 times !) as well, but with heroes and the new henchies' skill bar, I can run my level 20 character from Lions Arch to the desert ( via Bergen Hot Springs, TOA, Sanctum Cay ) and ascended in a total of 4 to 5 hours depending on the profession. Like OP, I am not in any guild but 5 years of experience with GW made a lot of difference.|||Quote:






View Post

OK thanks. I don't know anyone else who plays the game. I guess I just wander around asking someone to help me in the towns? I don't play enough to join a guild. Maybe once a week or so. Just hoping to continue on in the story without having to team up with anyone. I wonder how the first players managed on their own.




And to add to Raiala's answer, by trial and error if we didn't have friends online at the same time as us. However, that's one of the reasons I for one signed up for this forum...

To find other people to do missions with. Did I mention the guild and alliance forum?

...I suggest checking it out. You just might find a bunch of friendly people to do things with that way.|||If you're dead set on doing things by yourself, then I hope you know about the wiki, if not, here's a link: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

It's essentially a huge database of information about the game. It is not for people who like to be surprised or figure stuff out on their own though as it basically tells you how the missions are supposed to generally work, as well as often giving tips on how to do it.

There are many guilds that have varying degrees of requirements for activity as well as guilds that love to help introduce new players to the games. As mentioned above, check out the LFG forums here. The PVE forums are full of old threads by people asking the same questions you have too, so searching there is definitely an option.

Some brief tips:

Elona Reach: after the cut 2nd cut scene (when you give the first stone to the ghostly hero) a lot of people will try to go over the bridge. I personally think this is a death trap. Keeping going in further and you'll find a place where you can approach the other side of the ravine where you can more carefully control agro. Don't rush, you have time.

Thirsty River: remember that you have two minutes before they resurrect. Keep an eye on the timer and work toward taking down the priest before that time is up. Interrupts can be very helpful with this, or knock down skills.

Dunes of Despair: really not too hard if you aren't going for bonus.

Generally, the PVE in this game is pretty doable if you watch your agro and you build toward the strengths of your character, and bring henchmen to complement what you can (and cannot) do. If you are having trouble, figure out what skill or or part of the mission is giving you trouble and figure out a way to negate or overcome it.

Good luck.|||Quote:






View Post

To be honest, mostly by getting advice from people that had done it before, or by teaming up with others... It's possible to do it alone, but it IS a multiplayer game, and the game has been intended to be played with other people.




Yup. Back in the day, we had to PUG for some missions :) I was stuck in the desert for SO LONG on at least one of my characters. I think it was my Mesmer because, back then, no one liked us.

Also, we weren't able to flag henchmen, they didn't have as many skills as they do now, and the AI was terrible.|||pugging was fun back then. Just a ton of different people, and every so often you met an absolute superstar. I remember pugging with a few guildies and meeting a dude who ran a tactics tank. I am pretty sure it was the ring of fire mission. This dude ends up tanking the entire mission alone, well up until the monk boss anyways when he realizes he can't do it. It was pretty cool.

GW back then was all about the social stuff. Very different from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment