Saturday, April 14, 2012

GW On A Flash Drive?

[:1]I was wondering how to put Guild Wars on a flash drive. I have put other programs on one but not a game. I want it on my flash drive so i wont have to install it on my schools computers. I have a 4GB a 2GB and a 1GB.|||Will it work? Yes.

The . "-image" 'd dat file is near 4 GB, a bit more I think, so you'd need a bigger one to not install on the school computer. Also, while it works, you probably won't have good performance, was pretty choppy when I tried it out quite some time ago.|||There's some registry keys associated with Guild Wars (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ArenaNet\Guild Wars). I'm not sure if they're required or not

Either way, installing Guild Wars on a flash drive will definitely use up the write cycles on the flash drive quickly|||If I recall, GW will use the dat file in the directory listed in the registry for both game playing and -image. However, GW should create the entries if they don't exist, or fix them if they're wrong. The registry is only of concern if you want to run multiple instances of GW at the same time.

-T|||You're going to want at least the 4g drive. If you can get an 8g, that'd be better.

The game still needs some permissions though to work right.

School computers will sometimes have port blockers, or other security programs that require you to have admin permission to use them. (win7 is notorious for this I notice)

Still, never hurts to try.|||Running a video game on school computer sounds ridiculous and inappropriate. I suggest you keep up with school lessons while you are in school, and play the game at home when you have some spare time. If you have free time even while in school you should waste it with your friends.

Have some dignity kid, you don't want to be THAT MUCH addicted to a stupid video game.|||Quote:






View Post

There's some registry keys associated with Guild Wars (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ArenaNet\Guild Wars). I'm not sure if they're required or not

Either way, installing Guild Wars on a flash drive will definitely use up the write cycles on the flash drive quickly




I don't think GW gets updated anywhere near enough for that to be an immediate problem. That's if I'm even understanding the flaws of flash memory correctly.

In any case, if it is that much of a worry, look into a better-known brand name stick (like SanDisk) to hold the client rather then the cheapo sticks as they're more likely to be of superior quality and cope with more rewrites before failure, not that this is an actual guarantee of that.|||I was using a school computer as an example. lets say I go to a friends house and I want to show them the game. What if I want to play it at a library. how about another computer in my house that I do not want to install it on. I am usually done with all of my lessons at school and in study we cant talk so I could play it while I don't have anything to do. My school work always comes before video games.

Thanks you for you input.|||I tried this once in college, but I found that the university computers had a registry issue. Even though the files are on the flash drive, the Gw.exe file checks for a registry entry to see if it's installed yet on that particular machine. In your case, it probably won't be, which means it will try to install itself (read: add a registry entry for Guild Wars), and this may or may not be permitted by your school's IT department.

However, I did manage to install it on my network drive at work.

To summarize, the game must install itself to run. If you're just trying it at a friend's house, you're probably fine. At school, however, you may not have administrative privileges to install/run it.

Regardless, don't worry about write cycles. It's not as though the Gw.dat file is re-written every second, and given that most flash memory can undergo around 100,000 write cycles, it shouldn't be a problem for a few years.|||A flash drive can handle more data written to it. If anything, as long as it's in a USB 2.0 port, it'll react fairly quickly. same issue if you use a portable harddrive.

Like Roy says, the main times you will have issues are on machines that aren't set up for higher level access.

Usually these are machines at schools, public machines, and some work computers.

Another thing you should be aware of, is that the game will install some shortcuts to the desktop and startfiles sometimes. If you're on a machine you don't want people knowing you're playing games on, you need to watch that.

(deleting shortcuts and then empty recycle bin, or even going into recycle bin, and deleting just those shortcuts, as some people may toss a bunch of stuff into recycle, but then later want it back, and then realizes someone's been frigging on their machine.)



As far as the morality of this, playing at school or work... that's not really in our place to say, but suffice it, try and get your regular work done first.

And try not to get in groups where they need you to stick around, only you can't because you're on a borrowed machine, and suddenly have to bail.

Oh...

One other thing to note. Be careful when messing about on an external machine.

They do sometimes have keyloggers on them. A suggestion in that regard, put a text file on the thumb or HD you have the game on, with your user name and pass, and then just use cut and paste to put those two items in. That way you're not typing anything in.

No comments:

Post a Comment